About Funky Moose Records
Thank you for stopping by! My name is Mark Poppen, the founder of Funky Moose Records. Let me tell you a little story about myself, and how my past got me to run a vinyl-only, online records store. I'll try to keep it short.
There are actually 3 parts to this story, so hear me out. It started when I was a little kid. My parents are both music nuts, and a record player/turntable was always available in our house. My grandma was/is a Queen fan, and she's the one that got me hooked on the "classic rock" genre. I remember playing "A day at the races" over and over.
My dad worked at a local radio station, and I frequently came to the studio with him to go through the music library in the computer and finding the music on the shelves. I found the widest variety of music and started appreciating it all. I later worked at the same radio station, taking care of a lot of the technical aspect of running radio shows and plan music. To this day, Mom's record collection is still going strong. She actually bought a few Canadian pressing Elvis records when visiting here in 2015.
Part 2 is where my "online skills" come in. In 1999, I started designing websites. Mostly for myself, friends and family, but eventually, that rolled into the business I'm running now, PoppenWorks. A web design, development and hosting shop. I used to run it on the side, until I moved to Canada, when I started doing it full time.
Part 3 is around the 2004/2005 years. I worked at an online retailer, selling all sorts of electronics. I was the store manager there, in charge of keeping the product catalogues up to date, finding and adding new products and feeling the market for what's popular etc.
Now, web design is a great business, and I love what I do, but I missed the aspect of selling tangible products and I've been looking for a product that I could sell online. When I started collecting vinyl, the itch to sell records started growing more and more, so I went for it.
The recipe is 1 part music addiction, 1 part web skills, 1 part e-commerce experience and a dash of "this vinyl resurgence keeps growing". What you'll get is Funky Moose Records.
If you have any questions about me, my history or whatever else you can think of, click here. I'd love to hear from you.
This is what I take pictures of "behind the scenes".
Funky Moose Records Timeline
- June 1st, 2015 - Online store opens
- June 8th, 2015 - First customer order is processed
- August 31st, 2015 - Funky Moose Records becomes an official Spin Clean Record Washer dealer.
- November 2015 - Funky Moose Records launches artist support.
- December 2015 - Funky Moose Records opens Discogs store to sell used records.
- April 2016 - Plans are made to start a vinyl subscription service.
- May 2016 - Funky Moose Records becomes the first Canadian retailer for the GrooveWasher record cleaning kit.
- August 2016 - Used records are now available on the Funky Moose Records website.
- August 2016 - The first episode of the podcast "Moose Tracks" is live.
- December 2016 - The Mystery Rock Box becomes a product in steps towards a vinyl subscription.
- March 2017 - Funky Moose Records becomes an official dealer for Kanto Audio.
- April 2017 - Funky Moose Records becomes an official Audioengine dealer.
Who do we sell to?
We're selling all over the world, but obviously, Canada is our main focus. Check out this map of the locations of the last 100 Canadian orders: