About Funky Moose Records
Thank you for stopping by! My name is Mark Poppen, the founder of Funky Moose Records. Let me tell you a little story about myself, and how my past got me to run a vinyl-only, online records store. I'll try to keep it short.
There are actually 3 parts to this story, so hear me out. It started when I was a little kid. My parents are both music nuts, and a record player/turntable was always available in our house. My grandma was/is a Queen fan, and she's the one that got me hooked on the "classic rock" genre. I remember playing "A day at the races" over and over.
My dad worked at a local radio station, and I frequently came to the studio with him to go through the music library in the computer and finding the music on the shelves. I found the widest variety of music and started appreciating it all. I later worked at the same radio station, taking care of a lot of the technical aspect of running radio shows and plan music. To this day, Mom's record collection is still going strong. She actually bought a few Canadian pressing Elvis records when visiting here in 2015.
Part 2 is where my "online skills" come in. In 1999, I started designing websites. Mostly for myself, friends and family, but eventually, that rolled into the business I was running until early 2018, PoppenWorks. A web design, development and hosting shop. Now I'm juggling web design and vinyl records throughout the day.
Part 3 is around the 2004/2005 years. I worked at an online retailer, selling all sorts of electronics. I was the store manager there, in charge of keeping the product catalogues up to date, finding and adding new products and feeling the market for what's popular etc.
Now, web design is a great business, and I love what I do, but I missed the aspect of selling tangible products and I've been looking for a product that I could sell online. When I started collecting vinyl, the itch to sell records started growing more and more, so I went for it.
The recipe is 1 part music addiction, 1 part web skills, 1 part e-commerce experience and a dash of "this vinyl resurgence keeps growing". What you'll get is Funky Moose Records.
Hello, my name is Jeremy Hunter and I work here at Funky Moose Records as the primary used record dealer and grader. I am a huge pop culture enthusiast who could describe to you basically anything and everything about the art of filmmaking and Hollywood in general. From the classic thrillers of Alfred Hitchcock, to the bloodbath epics of Quentin Tarantino, there isn't much I don't know about cinema and filmmaking. My love for movies actually led to me attending film school at The Recording Arts Institute of Saskatoon in 2014 where my knowledge only intensified. I also have a love for screenwriting and art, having written over a hundred screenplays in my short time, while painting countless canvases of abstract art that even I have no explanation for. One of my paintings won first place at the Saskatoon Exhibition Fines Arts competition under Mixed Media in 2009. I also have a passion for literature, having taken a note to not only gain an extensive amount of knowledge on the great writers of the past, as well as their unique writing styles, but also to spot the patterns within storytelling which essentially drive drama. For example, through years of research, I have come to the conclusion that the biggest driving force behind drama is human error. Without human error, stories would lack conflict and would therefore gain no momentum or interest. I have also made a note to study the philosophy of Plato and his infamous mentor, Socrates, the artwork and architecture of Leonardo da Vinci, and the writing and poetry of Charles Bukowski.
I teamed up with Mark shortly after moving into a house he was renting out in Bellevue along with my common-law wife, Caitlin, and our whimsical daughter, Isabel. After Mark described to me a website he created with the intention of selling both new and used vinyl records, I saw not only a chance to make some extra money, but also an opportunity to gain knowledge on something I knew only a little about at the time; music. Since that point in time, I have had my second child, an inquisitive son named Kolt. I have also bought numerous record bundles, sold a lot of records with the assistance of Mark through the site, and have started to master the art of negotiation in hopes of securing deals which will help in supplying all self proclaimed vinyl junkies who visit the site killer albums from now and hopefully for years to come. Before I get back to grading records for your possible musical enjoyment, let me site my favorite musical artists; Pink Floyd, The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, Tom Petty, Dave Brubeck, Johnny Cash and my all time favorite band, The Doors. I have learned a great deal about music and business in general over the past couple of years while working with Mark, and only hope to learn that much more in the future, because by knowing more, I will be able to assist everyone who visits the site that much better and help in building your distinctive vinyl collections.
If you have any questions about us, our history or whatever else you can think of, click here. We'd love to hear from you.
Funky Moose Records Timeline
- June 1st, 2015 - Online store opens
- June 8th, 2015 - First customer order is processed
- August 31st, 2015 - Funky Moose Records becomes an official Spin Clean Record Washer dealer.
- November 2015 - Funky Moose Records launches artist support.
- December 2015 - Funky Moose Records opens Discogs store to sell used records.
- April 2016 - Plans are made to start a vinyl subscription service.
- May 2016 - Funky Moose Records becomes the first Canadian retailer for the GrooveWasher record cleaning kit.
- August 2016 - Used records are now available on the Funky Moose Records website.
- August 2016 - The first episode of the podcast "Moose Tracks" is live.
- December 2016 - The Mystery Rock Box becomes a product in steps towards a vinyl subscription.
- March 2017 - Funky Moose Records becomes an official dealer for Kanto Audio.
- April 2017 - Funky Moose Records becomes an official Audioengine dealer.
- September 2017 - Funky Moose Records vinyl subscription pilot program launches. #VinylSubCa
- March 2018 - A redesign of the site was completed to improve speed and user experience.
- July 2018 - Funky Moose GOLD was introduced to help people save on shipping.
- October 2018 - The Vinyl subscription service shuts down due to a lack of interest.
- October 2018 - Funky Moose Records starts pressing promotional 7" records.
- February 2019 - Funky Moose incorporates under the name Funky Moose Audio Inc.
Who do we sell to?
We're selling all over the world, but obviously, Canada is our main focus. Check out this map of the locations of the last 150 Canadian orders: