Building a record storage solution from 1 sheet of 8' x 4' plywood November 28, 2016 14:12

People have been asking me how I made the record storage bins that I've been sharing over the past couple of weeks and instead of answering you one by one, I'll spill the beans here.
A while ago, I came across a post by Joe Hadesbeck in a Facebook vinyl collectors group that was building these same bins. He directed me to a thread on the site AudioKarma where several plans were suggested. I picked one and went with it. The first one turned out nicer than I expected, so I built 2 more and I'm guessing I'll need another one soon.
Each bin holds 400 records comfortably. 500 shouldn't be a problem either, but I find flipping through them with less records easier.
Each one is built from one single sheet of 3/4" plywood (birch, in my case) and 1 5/8" all purpose screws. Rona (like a Home Depot, for my American followers) has a cutting service, so I gave them the plans and they cut them up for me. All I needed to do is put them together. Some people in the thread recommend adding wood glue, but I went with an extra screw here and there.
No sag, no squeak. They each feel like a tank, ready to hold an elephant.
 
The plan I used, minus the angled sides. I opted to raise the top shelf a little more, because I'm tall and it gives more room to access the bottom shelf.
The total cost for each bin is under CA$50, . This is for the plywood, the cutting service and the screws. I imaging if you want to paint them, you'll go just over the $50-mark. Since I needed them for practicality rather tan aesthetics, I didn't paint them.
I was looking at several options, like the IKEA Kallax or Record storage crates, and they're great, but not for what I needed them for.
Here's an after-picture of 3 of the bins:

 

All I need now are some nice dividers, because the file folders look pretty ghetto :)

Leave a comment below with how you store your vinyl. I'd like to see how you keep everything organized.